What facilities does Cottage Hospice have?
In response to the current outbreak of COVID-19 (Coronavirus) Cottage Hospice is currently split into blue and green zones, as part of our infection control measures. Patients and visitors will be briefed on these zones, and access to them, on admission to Cottage Hospice.
The facilities at Cottage Hospice and our 'ring of steel' approach to keeping it as a COVID-19 free site mean that family members can stay with their loved ones in a comfortable environment.
There are 10 individual, family sized rooms providing a ‘home from home’ experience. Each room has its own en-suite and has been carefully designed and decorated to feel like home rather than a hospital room or care home setting.
Everything needed to provide safe and compassionate end of life care is there, including adjustable beds, pressure-relieving mattresses and hoists. It will be possible for the family caregivers to stay in a double bed with their loved one if they wish, or in separate guest bed within the same room.
All family caregivers will be encouraged to bring personal items in for their loved one, providing comfort and familiarity and personalising the room.
Full list of facilities at Cottage Hospice
In the room:
- A toilet and shower in the en-suite
- Soap and towels for those who prefer not to bring their own
- Kettle, mugs and tea bags
- Mini fridge
- Lockable cupboard in the room for storing medication
- TV with access to internet TV services (e.g. Netflix) (you will need your own subscription)
- Dining table and 4 chairs
- A fully adjustable bed for the patient and (depending on the room)
- A second matching bed adjoined to optionally form a large double bed, or
- A double sofa bed
- Bedding is available to borrow for those who prefer not to bring their own
- Wireless internet
- A telephone
- Central heating
- An outdoor space with views out onto the Wealden countryside
There is also a welcome pack in the room to help family caregivers become familiar with the room and the building.
In the rest of the building:
- Fully equipped kitchen – you don’t need to bring any cooking equipment or plates and cutlery (unless you choose to)
- We supply basic provisions such as milk, bread and condiments
- We also supply microwavable ready meals to a variety of tastes and diets for those who prefer not to cook
- Washing machines and dryers with detergent
- You might like to bring your own laundry detergent
- Iron and ironing board
- General cleaning equipment, vacuum cleaner
- Wireless internet
There’s also a café area where you can make yourself tea and coffee and snacks are available. Attached is a multi-functional space where there is, amongst other things, a service every other Sunday.