What facilities does Cottage Hospice have?
There are 10 individual, family sized rooms providing a ‘home from home’ experience. Each room has its own en-suite and has been carefully designed and decorated to feel like home rather than a hospital room or care home setting.
Everything needed to provide safe and compassionate end of life care is there, including adjustable beds, pressure-relieving mattresses and hoists. It will be possible for the family caregivers to stay in a double bed with their loved one if they wish, or in separate guest bed within the same room.
There is a shared kitchen for family caregivers to prepare food for their loved ones – and for themselves, of course! We provide all the kitchen essentials – it just needs the family caregivers to bring along their loved ones’ favourite food if they are able to eat and drink. And, for those who don’t feel like cooking, we provide convenient, easy to cook ready meals.
The Cottage Hospice is a community of shared care with shared spaces such as the kitchen, a café area, landscaped gardens and a space for group activities. It’s a unique place for family caregivers to meet and support others in similar situations and share their experiences if they wish There’s free wi-fi, so it’s easy to stay connected with friends and relatives and reach out to them when things get tough.
All family caregivers will be encouraged to bring personal items in for their loved one, providing comfort and familiarity and personalising the room. Read on to find out more about what should be brought if staying at Cottage Hospice, and at the end of this booklet you will find a full list of all the facilities available at Cottage Hospice.
Full list of facilities at Cottage Hospice
In the room:
- A toilet and shower in the en-suite
- Soap and towels for those who prefer not to bring their own
- Kettle, mugs and tea bags
- Mini fridge
- Lockable cupboard in the room for storing medication
- TV with access to internet TV services (e.g. Netflix) (you will need your own subscription)
- Dining table and 4 chairs
- A fully adjustable bed for the patient and (depending on the room)
- A second matching bed adjoined to optionally form a large double bed, or
- A double sofa bed
- Bedding is available to borrow for those who prefer not to bring their own
- Wireless internet
- A telephone
- Central heating
- An outdoor space with views out onto the Wealden countryside
There is also a welcome pack in the room to help family caregivers become familiar with the room and the building.
In the rest of the building:
- Fully equipped kitchen – you don’t need to bring any cooking equipment or plates and cutlery (unless you choose to)
- We supply basic provisions such as milk, bread and condiments
- We also supply microwavable ready meals to a variety of tastes and diets for those who prefer not to cook
- Washing machines and dryers with detergent
- You might like to bring your own laundry detergent
- Iron and ironing board
- General cleaning equipment, vacuum cleaner
- Wireless internet
There’s also a café area where you can make yourself tea and coffee and snacks are available. Attached is a multi-functional space where there is, amongst other things, a service every other Sunday.