Hospice in the Weald

Make a donation Make
a donation
Access our care Make
a referral

Hospice in the Weald


Make a donation Donate Make a referral Make a referral

Epidural analgesia

Occasionally painkillers may be given by infusion into the space just outside the membranes surrounding the spinal cord. This is known as epidural analgesia. Sometimes the painkiller is given into the fluid around the spinal cord ­- this is known as intrathecal analgesia. These specialised techniques are usually used only to control severe pain and are managed by anaesthetists.

If you need to have your painkillers by injection or infusion, your doctor or nurse will discuss this with you.

Please see our leaflet on Strong Painkillers for more information.