Food hints that may help if you have a dry mouth
- Have a drink with meals.
- Avoid dry foods and include plenty of sauces and gravy with meals.
- Sugar-free chewing gum can stimulate saliva production.
- Eat foods with a high fluid content, such as jelly, pureed fruits and soft puddings.
- Unsweetened pineapple chunks or melon can help keep your mouth fresh and moist.
- Avoid chocolate and pastry as they can stick to the roof of your mouth.
If you have a dry mouth for a long time you have a higher risk of tooth decay, so it’s important to take care of your teeth. Your dentist will be able to help you with this and will want you to have regular check-ups. Some dentists will visit you at home if you can’t attend the surgery.