Helping someone to stand from sitting
This section is written for a family member or carer to help them to assist you with your mobility.
- Never try to lift someone from under the armpit or by pulling their arms.
- Bring their bottom forward to the front of the chair/bed/lavatory.
- Place their hands firmly on the arms of the chair. If there are no arms, place their hands on the edge of the seat.
- Tuck their feet well back under them a little way apart.
- Ask them to lean forward from the hips (nose over toes).
- Using their arms, push to stand.
- If further help is needed, assist by giving gentle forward pressure on the back between the shoulders. Say ‘ready, steady, up’ so you work together.
- If a walking aid is used, they should now take hold of it.
- Make sure their knees are straight and they are well balanced before they start to move or walk away.
This sequence can be reversed to sit from standing.