Tips to help with constipation
- Try to have plenty of fibre in your diet. Good sources of fibre include wholegrain breakfast cereals, porridge, muesli, wholemeal bread and flour, brown rice, wholemeal pasta and fresh fruit and vegetables with their skins on.
- Drink plenty of fluids. Aim to drink at least two litres (3½ pints) of fluid a day.
- Gentle exercise will help keep your bowels moving.
- Natural remedies for constipation include apricots, prunes, prune juice and syrup of figs.
- Flaxseed (linseed) can help to ease constipation and soften stools. One teaspoon or dessertspoon of the seeds can be taken daily with a glass of water.